The following statement of faith reflects a
contemporary summary of the central doctrines in the Bible,
which are also presented in the historic creeds of the Christian church.
Leadership or positions of teaching at Dongshin English Service
(Pastor, Elder, Deacon, Ministry Head & Small Group Leader)
is intended solely for individuals who can affirm,
without reservation, the below statements:
1. We believe in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, in their original writing, as fully inspired of God and accept them as the supreme and final authority for faith, life and all matters upon which it teaches.
2. We believe in one God, eternally existing in three Persons – Father, Son and Holy Spirit – each fully God yet each personally distinct from the other.
3. We believe that Jesus Christ, the second Person of the Trinity, was begotten of the Father, conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary and is true God and true man. He willingly took upon Himself all of our sins, died on the cross and rose again bodily.
4. We believe that the Holy Spirit, third Person of the Trinity, convicts the world of sin and draws people to Christ. He also indwells all believers. He is available to empower them to lead Christ-like lives, and gives them spiritual gifts with which to serve the church and reach out to a lost and needy world.
5. We believe that God created man in His own image; that man sinned and thereby incurred the penalty of sin which is death physically and spiritually, and that all human beings inherit a sinful nature.
6. God gives salvation and eternal life to anyone who trusts in Jesus Christ and in His sacrifice. Salvation cannot be earned through personal goodness or human effort. It is a gift that must be received by humble repentance and faith in Christ and His finished work on the cross.
7. We believe in the exclusivity of the gospel and that there is no salvation apart from faith in Jesus Christ. Death seals the eternal destiny of each person. At the final judgment, unbelievers will be separated from God into condemnation. Believers will be received into God’s loving presence and rewarded for their faithfulness to Him in this life.
8. We believe in the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ, who will return to consummate history and to fulfil the eternal plan of God.
9. We believe that the one true Church is the whole company of those who have been redeemed by Jesus Christ and regenerated by the Holy Spirit. Spiritual unity is to be expressed among Christians by acceptance and love of one another across ethnic, cultural, socio-economic, national, generational, gender, and denominational lines.
10. We believe in the biblical definition of marriage, and the accompanying restrictions on sexuality, as the heterosexual relationship between a natural man and a natural woman within the confines of lawful matrimony.
11. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ appointed two ordinances – Baptism in water and the Lord’s Supper to be observed as acts of obedience and as perpetual witnesses to the cardinal facts of the Christian faith. Baptism may be done by immersion or sprinkling, but cannot be repeated if you have already been baptized as an infant. Authority to serve at the Lord’s Supper is given to deacons and pastors alone. Administration of the Lord’s Supper is given to ordained ministers alone. Likewise, baptism is administered by ordained ministers alone.
12. We believe in the doctrine of sanctification as a definite, yet progressive work of grace, commencing at the time of the new birth and continuing until the consummation of salvation.
13. We believe that authority in the church is vested in ordained ministers, pastors and elders. These men and women have been gifted by God and confirmed by the church in their roles. Laying on of hands for the purpose of ordination and anointing of the Holy Spirit is tasked to those in authority.