What is advent?
- It is the four-week period leading up to Christmas
- It is a time of preparation for the coming of the Christ Child
- The season is also a preparation for the Second Coming of Christ
What is the focus of advent week?
- Celebrate the first Advent of Christ’s birth.
- Anticipate the Second Advent of Christ the King’s return.
What is the meaning of advent wreath?
- Circle shape of the wreath – God has no beginning or end.
- Color green of the wreath – We have hope in eternal life.
- Blue candles-Royalty of King Jesus, repent and turn from the darkness of sin.
- Pink candle – Awake out of darkness into the celebration of life through Jesus.
- White candle or Christ candle – Jesus is true God and true man and this is the heart of the season.
How will we celebrate advent at Dongshin
- Each Sunday for the next 4 weeks we will:
- Tell a part of the Christmas story.
- Read the Scriptures for the Christmas story.
- Light the candles.
- Read a prayer together.
Luke 2: 1-6Life Application Study Bible
1. At that time the Roman emperor, Augustus, decreed that a census should be taken throughout the Roman Empire
2. (This was the first census taken when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.)
3. All returned to their own ancestral towns to register for this census.
4. And because Joseph was a descendant of King David, he had to go to Bethlehem in Judea, David’s ancient home. He travleed there from the village of Nazareth in Galilee.
5. He took with him Mary, who was now obviously pregnant.
6. And while they were there, the time came for her baby to be born.
Emmanuel, Jesus Christ,
desire of every nation,
Savior of all people,
come and dwell among us