“To see English speaking people in Daegu
connected to Christ, built up in his ways,
and equipped for service in his kingdom.”
Purpose (Why we exist):
Called by our Father to be a cross-cultural family in Daegu who worship the Triune God, grow in our knowledge of Him, and display His glory in all areas of our lives.
Welcomes – Warmly, openly, and lovingly helping people recognize their true needs can be satisfied in Jesus, and providing Christians – Koreans and ex-pats – with a safe and loving place to worship.
Connects – Living in a genuine, open community that encourages honesty, accountability, and fellowship in intentional and spontaneous ways.
Builds up – Preaching God’s word clearly and practically, teaching (primarily through small groups and Bible studies), faithful prayer, and genuine, regular worship.
Equips for ministry – Giving members opportunities to serve in the church and helping them explore and strengthen their areas of gifting in ministry.
Mission (What we will do):
• Welcome –
- We will effectively inform people about Dongshin through clear, attractive and informative communication.
- We will care for new comers by getting their contact details and following them up on a weekly basis.
- We want every visitor and attendee of Dongshin to hear the good news of Jesus Christ, through preaching and evangelism.
• Connect –
- We want to give people opportunities to connect with other people in the church with clear and accurate announcements and church bulletins.
- We want everyone who attends Dongshin to have the opportunity to join a small group– the Welcoming small group, the Foundations class, and a small group.
- We will fellowship together as a church on a regular basis to build solid connections and friendships as well as to enjoy the many different personalities God has given us as a family.
• Build up –
- We commit to studying God’s word together regularly and purposefully through sermons, small groups, weekly Bible studies and conferences.
- We will give regular attendees opportunities to serve at Dongshin in reasonable and achievable ways so that they can find, strengthen, and use their spiritual gifts to edify the church.
- We commit to regular and frequent times of worship and prayer so that we will rest on the firm foundation of Jesus Christ as individuals, families and a church.
• Equip for ministry –
- We want to identify potential leaders and give them opportunities to take responsibility while providing feedback for their edification and growth.
- We want to provide training and accountability for those serving in different areas of ministry on a regular basis.
- We will work together in harmony, honesty, and humility to best serve the Lord and this congregation.
God’s Character – God is inherently good, and it is by His character that we understand goodness. He is sovereign in all things, totally committed to both justice and mercy. He loves to forgive and bless, and He loves it when we seek to show these same qualities. We know this because he has revealed it in the Bible and in Jesus – the perfect image of God. (Genesis 12:2-3, Exodus 33:19, Psalm 31:19, Psalm 33:5, Isaiah 1:16-20, Isaiah 30:18, Hebrews 1:3)
God’s Word – God speaks to his people in the Scriptures and especially through his Son, Jesus Christ. His word is Truth, and we rely on it for encouragement, instruction, comfort and life. The Gospel is dynamic is turning persons estranged from God to himself. (Hebrew 1:1-3, 2 Timothy 3:16-17, Romans 1:16, Romans 15:4)
God’s Grace – We are flawed, imperfect people who have rejected God and his purposes for us. We desperately need him to open our eyes to our sinful condition and to help us see that He is the only One who can help us. We deserve death and punishment for our sin but he offers us life and fellowship if we believe in Jesus Christ for our salvation. (Romans 3:21-25, 2 Corinthians 5:18-21, Ephesians 2:1-5, Colossians 1:21-22)
God’s Family – There are no tourists in the kingdom of God, only sojourners together looking for a city with foundations. By exposing our common need for him, Jesus breaks down all the barriers that divide us. By his cross he reconciles us to God and to each other. In this costly unity, we are learning to live honestly and without fear. (Ephesians 2:13-22, Romans 12:4-5, Romans 15:1-3, 1 Corinthians 12:12-20)
God’s Purpose for our lives – Our ultimate purpose is to glorify God. We do this through obeying His Word, loving Him and all people, and proclaiming His good news to the world. As people who have been forgiven much, we extend forgiveness to each other. As people who have been made rich through the poverty of Jesus, we sacrifice our rights, time, energy and resources for the poor, the stranger and the suffering. We also seek to live at peace and in fellowship with all people, especially our brothers and sisters in Christ. (Isaiah 60:21, 1 Corinthians 10:31, Revelation 4:11, Matthew 5:43-46, Matthew 6:12, Matthew 28:18-20, 1 John 3:16-24)